Subject: Re: now 'make cleandir' is confused
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/2001 12:55:08
On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 01:12:09PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> well, in the directories that 'make build' never got to cvs created the
> directories and never removed them so 'make cleandir' keeps getting caught up.
> since 'make cleandir' has to start over from the beginning after every problem
> like this i have blown away /usr/src and am re-checking it out right now.
From reading your earlier messages I gather that you have an extra grep
_directory_ sitting around.  With that in mind, the following applies:
	the reason CVS isn't removing the directorie in this case is because a
previous build left some files sitting around from a previous build.  When
you do a cvs update before a make cleandir you removed the Makefile which
would have removed those files and replaced it with one that uses the same
name as a file.  This is NOT a bug in cvs.  cvs CAN'T handle this case
because it has no way of knowing whether it should remove the extra files
or not.  This is a problem, but the solution is to put generated files
elsewhere (obj directories).
	on the other hand, if you have a file with the same name as a deleted
directory in cvs, cvs should be able to handle it either by keeping some
kind of history on directories or by delaying creation of the directory
until it actually has something to put in it.  This is a bug.  Noone yet
has hed enough impetus to do something about it.  (go for it! :) )

eric