Subject: Re: File system corruption
To: Tim Preston <tim@flibble.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/28/2001 08:33:16
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Tim Preston wrote:

# I've been seeing file system corruption on a regular basis since I build
# my -current playbox using 1.5S a couple of months ago.
#
# This is on a RAID1 file system running of IDE disks, with softdep on.
#
# Interestingly I only see this problem on one of the file systems, and
# it's the one I ran fsirand on as it is likely to be NFS exported at some
# point, however it contains all my source and and obj trees and so it's
# by far the most heavily used filesystem on the box so this is likely
# coincidence...

Do you s'pose that fsirand might be causing the problems?
(shooting at straws, grasping at the dark).

You might try it on a smaller filesystem and see what happens.

Incidentally, do you have a reason you need to run fsirand?  (Typically
it's only necessary in a potentially sorta-hostile environment (full-on
hostile environments will probably not want to use NFS at all)).

I somehow don't think it's the problem, but I've been right once or twice
before on hunches, so I figure it's worth a shot.

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: Network Your World.