Subject: Re: README: BUILD_DEPENDS semantics changed
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2001 11:12:46
On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 05:25:24AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> [ Followups to tech-pkg, please! ]
>

> FYI:
> We have changed the BUILD_DEPENDS semantics: first component is now a
> package name+version/pattern, no more executable/patchname/whatnot.
>
> While there, introduce BUILD_USES_MSGFMT as shorthand to pull in
> devel/gettext unless /usr/bin/msgfmt exists (i.e. on post-1.5 -current).
>
> If you experience any problems, please send-pr them.

I would just like to thank Hubert for committing these changes, and
to say why they were deemed necessary:

+ libtool and xpkgwedge were previously listed as DEPENDS, rather than
BUILD_DEPENDS, since they needed the version relational matching logic.
A slight drawback of this was that, if libtool was updated and a
"make update" was run, then libtool would be updated, and all the
packages which have libtool as a pre-requisite

+ the previous logic for "match any executable in the path" isn't all
that tremendous.  To illustrate, years ago, I used to have a FreeBSD
partition mounted.  When making cdrecord one day, I had no end of
problems, since files weren't being built properly with gmake.  In the
end, I realised that the gmake from the FreeBSD partition was being
found, and that's when pkgsrc grew the "echo the executable that was
found"

+ the file matching logic can be done just as well using

	.if exists(file)

in make(1) terms

And I'd like to thank all the pkgsrc people for bearing with me and
proof-reading the changes, and Hubert for committing the changes,
because the little time I had was used up answering mail.

And the director, the producer, oh, and my agent...

Regards,
Alistair