Subject: Re: Has anyone tried building -current as non-root from scratch recently?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/26/2001 01:20:33
[ On Monday, March 26, 2001 at 00:35:05 (-0500), Greg A. Woods wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Has anyone tried building -current as non-root from scratch recently?
>
> [ On Monday, March 26, 2001 at 11:37:44 (+1000), Simon Burge wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Has anyone tried building -current as non-root from scratch recently?
> >
> > This doesn't help cross-compiles.
>
> Hmm... assuming there's some kind of vnd(4) driver on the host system,
> why not?

Just one further note -- vnd(4) isn't a concept unique to the *BSDs.
SCO OpenServer 5 has the marry(HW) (marriage driver) that does exactly
the same thing and "allows a regular file to be treated as a device."
The manual goes on to describe uses such as swap files and creating
fileystem images.  (There was even an article written in SCO World
magazine praising the ingenuity of this device! :-)

(which reminds me:  vnconfig needs a '-l' to list configured devices!)

Of course my suggestion still requires some modification to either the
vnd driver or the addition of a new flag to mount....

--
							Greg A. Woods