Subject: RE: Has anyone tried building -current as non-root from scratch recently?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/2001 14:36:13
[ On Sunday, March 25, 2001 at 19:09:07 (+1000), Andrew van der Stock wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: Has anyone tried building -current as non-root from scratch recently?
>
> I don't like doing anything as a privileged user unless I must. I don't mind
> installing as a privileged user, but it should be possible (and the default)
> to build as non-root, and then to ask for root when it's time to do the
> install.

I don't like doing builds as root either.  You can sort of do that now
as long as you can figure out what the makefiles are doing and then only
run those parts as root that really need to be run as root.  That's what
I've always done.  Perhaps I should take notes and write up a proper
procedure.  Or maybe I shouldn't so as to encourage the implementation
of ideas I posted just prior to this!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods