Subject: RE: Has anyone tried building -current as non-root from scratch recently?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew van der Stock <ajv@greebo.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/25/2001 19:09:07
Frederick,

Good suggestions.

My suggestion then would be that it is made clear that make build will
replace your currently running system and must be run as root. There is no
suggestion of this at all in the current HTML or UPDATING. That should be
addressed for the current newbies.

However, for the security freaks amongst us:

I don't like doing anything as a privileged user unless I must. I don't mind
installing as a privileged user, but it should be possible (and the default)
to build as non-root, and then to ask for root when it's time to do the
install.

pkgsrc exhibits this behaviour, I like it.

Andrew