Subject: Re: wi(4) modes of operation
To: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: Anders Franzen <uabfra@uab.ericsson.se>
List: current-users
Date: 03/22/2001 11:17:41
Brook Milligan wrote:

> Does the wi(4) driver support any modes of operation besides the adhoc
> demo (i.e., non-802.11) mode?  At least with the 1.5 release version I
> cannot seem to get cards to communicate except in the default adhoc
> demo mode.  If that is incorrect, please let me know how to use, for
> example, 802.11 IBSS mode between two NetBSD boxes.  If the current
> driver has enhanced support I would also really like to know.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Cheers,
> Brook

I got i to work in IBSS mode (win98 <-> NetBSD):

wiconfig wi0  -n "anetworkname"
wiconfig  wi0 -p 1          /* select BSS mode */
wiconfig wi0  -c 1   /* allow creation of BSS */
wiconfig wi0 -s "stationname"
wiconifg wi0 -e 1 -k "a password"

I use the Lucent wavelan gold card.
I'm not sure but I think the magic is not to do:
wiconfig wi0 -p1 -c1
Because when I did that, I could not get it to work????

/Anders