Subject: Re: closer this time
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/13/2001 16:08:28
Chris Gilbert drunkenly mumbled...

> Certainly I'd recommend doing it for upgrading from 1.5 to current as
> allsorts of things can happen (of which the important one is to look in the
> top level UPDATING file :) When I did the first update I prefered it in it's
> own sandbox.   However once you've got it through one complete build, just
> remove the DESTDIR and put current into / (obviously make backups etc).
> Currently I just do a make build into /  Works most of the time.

cool, so i'm not being over-paranoid.  i'm going frmo a nearly month old
snapshot so i'd like to do it the "safe" way the first time. :)

> Biggest thing missing from make build is that upgrading /etc has no easy way
> to do so, but then this is bleeding edge development :)

it's a test.  if you can't merge your /etc by hand, you probably shouldn't be
tracking current. :)

well, things don't work soo wonderfully well just yet:

# DESTDIR=/home/dest;export DESTDIR
# make build
Build started at: Tue Mar 13 16:41:33 UTC 2001
(cd /usr/src/etc && make distrib-dirs)
install  -d -o root -g wheel -m 755 /home/dest
mtree -def mtree/NetBSD.dist -p /home/dest/ -u
mtree: unknown group named
mtree: failed at line 2680 of the specification
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
cd /home/dest; rm -f sys; ln -s usr/src/sys sys
(cd /usr/src/share/mk && make install)
install -r  -c   -o root  -g wheel  -m 444  bsd.README /home/dest/usr/share/mk/bsd.README
install: /home/dest/usr/share/mk: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.