Subject: Re: Undefined symbols using kde package from 1.5?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Scott Presnell <srp@zgi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/2001 10:39:06
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>
> > Mutt made me believe that Scott Presnell wrote:
> > > Is this a mismatch between the package system and the XFree86
> > > 4.0.2 release? Short of rebuilding the kde packages, is there
> > > something I'm missing here?
> >
> > I'm pretty sure the binary packages on ftp.netbsd.org are built with
> > XFree 3.3.x, so you'll have to rebuild kde (and other programs
> > depending on X) from source.
>
> Rebuilding may or may not fix it. The problem looks like some kind of
> g++/linker goof. It's unlikely that the 3.3.x libraries really have
> those __virtual_blah__ symbols that aren't present in 4.0.2. When I
> experimented with 4.0.1, I noticed that only one shared library got a
> minor version increment, and gnome and everything still worked fine

So after a little digging I could see that linux folks were having the
same/similar problem and had narrowed it down to a mismatch between
the qt 1.4x libraries and the kde core libs.

I pulled down the pkgsrc tar ball and started building the packages.
I temporarily ran into trouble with qwspritelib, but apparently that
was fixed over the weekend.

I now have rebuilt qt, kdelibs, and kdebase, and it seems to be going
smoothly.

Perhaps the prebuilt versions of the kde packages should be rebuilt
in the environment of qt 1.44?

	Thanks.

	- Scott