Subject: Re: trouble with pcmcia ethernets
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Aymeric Vincent <xmimic@free.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/2001 14:12:57
        Hi,

Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com> writes:

> ne2 at pcmcia1 function 0 port 0x400-0x40f port 0x410-0x41f
> ne2: Linksys Combo EthernetCard Ethernet
> ne2: where did the card go?

This issue was raised multiple times. Most ne2k cards expect their I/O
addresses to be within 0x300 and 0x3ff.

I don't remember who changed the default address from 0x300 to 0x400
some months ago, arguing that the standards say it should work at
0x400. Experience shows it doesn't.

Here is a change I did to dev/pcmcia/pcmcia_cis_quirks.c to get my
ne-card to work, but I don't think it is the way to go.

revision 1.7
date: 2001/01/10 17:37:27;  author: aymeric;  state: Exp;  lines: +75 -3
Added four config entries for the DLink DE-650CT.
XXX I think we should have if_ne_pcmcia.c try to allocate I/O addresses
        around 0x300 or we'll end up with a lot of quirks for NE2k based
        cards which have bad CIS's.

> ep1 at pcmcia1 function 0 port 0x400-0x40f: 3Com 3c562 33.6
> Modem/10Mbps Ethernet
> ep1: wrote 0x7ff to TX_AVAIL_THRESH, read back 0x7c7. Interface disabled
> ep1: couldn't configure controller

Maybe ep* have the same problem?

However, you may want to read the comment at line 66 of
dev/isa/i82365_isasubr.c, and look for the code that does the probe in
the same file. Maybe that's where the problem actually is.

I don't know i386 busses and such well, so I can't debug this, but I
think someone should really take care of this seriously as otherwise,
people with old laptops will stop using NetBSD thinking their PCMCIA
port is badly supported.

 Aymeric