Subject: Re: Undefined symbols using kde package from 1.5?
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/2001 08:07:57
On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Mutt made me believe that Scott Presnell wrote:
> > Is this a mismatch between the package system and the XFree86
> > 4.0.2 release? Short of rebuilding the kde packages, is there
> > something I'm missing here?
>
> I'm pretty sure the binary packages on ftp.netbsd.org are built with
> XFree 3.3.x, so you'll have to rebuild kde (and other programs
> depending on X) from source.

Rebuilding may or may not fix it. The problem looks like some kind of
g++/linker goof. It's unlikely that the 3.3.x libraries really have
those __virtual_blah__ symbols that aren't present in 4.0.2. When I
experimented with 4.0.1, I noticed that only one shared library got a
minor version increment, and gnome and everything still worked fine
except for a small problem with the font metrics that caused "wmx" to
make it's title bars too small. Can anyone verify that the kde
packages on ftp.netbsd.org work under 1.5/3.3.6?

Frederick