Subject: Re: Recommendations for load balanced dedicated servers?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Thierry Herbelot <thierry.herbelot@free.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/2001 20:24:16
David Brownlee wrote:

>         Looking to add a bunch of good spec machines to an existing
>         site.  4 * (1GB RAM, dual CPU) behind a load balancing
>         switch.
>
>         Does anyone have a recommendation for a hosting company
>         with good connectivity and reliability. Obviously I'd prefer
>         NetBSD, but until SMP is in -release I'll take FreeBSD or
>         Linux....

You should note that SMP in -Stable FreeBSD won't give you **any** I/O
performance increases, as the kernel is still protected by a single
"Giant Lock".

so, if your hosts are essentially web servers, you may have a better
performance/price ratio by buying just single-processor boxes (for
example, buying 8 UP boxes instead of 4 SMP)

--
Thierry Herbelot