Subject: Re: Off-Topic: DHCP Windows Emulation
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/2001 18:55:05
On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 11:20:24AM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, Feico Dillema wrote:
> As a sidenote:  Many cable ISP's don't hand out DHCP leases to MAC addresses
> not explicitly listed as permitted.  This isn't a Windows-restriction thing,
> it's a hardcoding of the user's MAC address in the server configuration.
Yeah, I know. And I am not sure whether this is the case, but I do not
think so. They *do* fix the MAC address of the cable modem though, but
that one is the same anyway.

> If you're trying this out by connecting alternating different machines on
> the same cable modem, try using the (working on Windows) network card in the
> NetBSD box.
Would love to test that, but it is a bit tricky. The NetBSD machine is
ISA-only, while the windows box has a PCI network card. What I have
tested is to use two different cards in the windows machine, they both
worked fine. So, I think I can exclude this problem.

Thanksi all; got enough to do some further testing.

Feico.