Subject: Re: how to cross compile install kernel?
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/2001 14:49:29
On 03/06/2001 08:49:30 PM ZE9 Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

>In <200103060026.BAA20298@punt.aladdin.de>
>cpg@aladdin.de wrote:
>
>> Question:
>> How would I create a crunchide, hosted on i386 and working with
>> powerpc object files?
>
>Maybe you have to use pkgsrc/cross/bfd-crunchide and
>pkgsrc/cross/bfd-mdsetimage.

Thanks. Using them I can create the ramdisk image.

FYI, it didn't work out of the box:

First, the two packages didn't install properly. "make install" copied
the exes to /usr/pkg/cross/bin but then aborted with some error
messages I can't remember the exact error, it seemed to have something
to do with the shell.

Second, the final link of ramdiskbin failed with many unresolved
symbols of the type "_crunched_xxx_stub", with xxx like cat, chmod,
... etc.

When I changed the crunchide invocation to remove the leading _ from
the symbol, the symbol is correctly unhidden. So instead of

        crunchide -k _crunched_cat_stub cat.cro

I had to use

        crunchide -k crunched_cat_stub cat.cro

I don't really understand why, because the symbol in cat_stub.o _has_
a "_".

regards,
chris