Subject: Re: libtool "--tag" error (fwd)
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/2001 03:39:20
> > The problem in my case was that c_cpp_reference (at the time a kind of
> > sub-package of kdevelop) was using a .C file to test for KDE support, and
> > libtool said that it didn't know what to do with .C files.  After reading
> > libtool's info pages, I hacked an explicit instruction (to
> > c_cpp_reference's config script, I think) to tell libtool to treat the .C
> > file as a C++ file, and all was well.  (I exchanged email with Berndt
> > Josef Wulf who had been fixing kdevelop bugs; he hasn't answered my last
> > email on the subject, so I don't know if he has any more insight than I.)
>
> If libtool really doesn't accept .C as a legitimate and identifying
> C++ filename extension, then it is painfully broken to only work
> with GNU-minded people.

I'm fairly libtool-naive; I don't know if it would have accepted a .cpp
(or .cxx, or .c++) with any more grace in the same place.  All I know is
that setting an explicit --tag made libtool happy.

> > Since Ruibiao (on -current), someone else here on current-users, and
> > myself (running 1.5 (proper)) saw this surface apparently at about the
> > same time, I suspect that it's a pkgsrc problem.  (Or a problem with some
> > commonly-used packaged tools, such as libtool.)
>
> As it turned out (and as you've probably read by now), Ruibiao
> merely had CC set to 'gcc' in his shell.

I see...  I'm pretty sure that that wasn't the case for me.  I almost
never modify environment variables.  I can't be 100% sure, but I don't
think that I did that.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu