Subject: Re: libtool "--tag" error (fwd)
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/2001 02:42:55
On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 11:21:46PM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> The problem in my case was that c_cpp_reference (at the time a kind of
> sub-package of kdevelop) was using a .C file to test for KDE support, and
> libtool said that it didn't know what to do with .C files.  After reading
> libtool's info pages, I hacked an explicit instruction (to
> c_cpp_reference's config script, I think) to tell libtool to treat the .C
> file as a C++ file, and all was well.  (I exchanged email with Berndt
> Josef Wulf who had been fixing kdevelop bugs; he hasn't answered my last
> email on the subject, so I don't know if he has any more insight than I.)

If libtool really doesn't accept .C as a legitimate and identifying
C++ filename extension, then it is painfully broken to only work
with GNU-minded people.

(.C is plenty ANSI, .cpp is g++-specific.)

> Since Ruibiao (on -current), someone else here on current-users, and
> myself (running 1.5 (proper)) saw this surface apparently at about the
> same time, I suspect that it's a pkgsrc problem.  (Or a problem with some
> commonly-used packaged tools, such as libtool.)

As it turned out (and as you've probably read by now), Ruibiao
merely had CC set to 'gcc' in his shell.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net