Subject: Re: Removing old libraries after an upgrade
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/05/2001 14:19:59
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Your script also didn't show some other libraries that I use like
> libamu.so.1.1, libcrypt.so.0.0 libdes.so.5.1, ...

It's supposed to show anything that isn't the highest version (so if you
have libamu.so.1.0 and libamu.so.1.1, it'll just show libamu.so.1.0). I
didn't take into account libraries with a tiny version, but I don't think
I have any on my machine..

> > Is there anyway to write a quick script to get rid of old versions of
> > libraries? It's getting rediculous:
>
> What about old libraries that are still used?

Shouldn't for example libc.so.12.71 be binary compatible with libc.so.12.62 ?

> What if you built and installed some libraries that were put in /usr/lib?

I didn't, but if it did it would report any version that wasn't the latest
installed version.

> I think the best way to check is to look at the last access time of the
> libraries and also write a script that looks at all the system's
> executables to see what libraries they use.

I don't want to over-think the process.. I have a very simple merge script
I wrote to update /etc that isn't perfect but does the job nicely. I need
something quick and handy like that to save myself from ripping my hair
out later on.

Jared