Subject: Re: I am a new netbsd user
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/05/2001 13:53:36
On 05.03.01, 03:07:39, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 02:54:05AM -0500, manish jain wrote:
> > I have just downloaded the source code of netbsd 1.5. Presently I am
> > running linux 2.2.14 on my machine.
> > Since linux is the only running environment I have, I tried
> > compiling/building netbsd in that environment ( gnu make version 3.78 and
> > gcc version 2.91 ).
>
> NetBSD Makefiles won't work with Gnu make; they require real (BSD)
> make.

I doubt very much that this will work at all, and produce anything
usable, even if part of it compiles.

Most of the time it is not even possible to compile NetBSD on a an
earlier version of NetBSD itself, much less on another operating
system.

> If you must cross-compile, go read
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/cross/ to help you get a
> workable environment for doing so. But it's going to be a bitch, if
> even possible, to get this set up within Linux.

Yes. It will be _much_ easier and faster and less painful and more
useful to just install the NetBSD-1.5 binary release. Compiling and
re-installing NetBSD on itself is as easy as "make build". ;)

It will probably even be a lot faster to buy an additional hard disk
for just this purpose, if empty partitions are the problem, than to
try to cross-compile NetBSD in a Linux environment.

"Don't try this at home." ;)

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD, More Nines.