Subject: warning: null format string
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chaskiel M Grundman <cg2v+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/2001 18:56:50
I'm playing around with netbsd for the first time, and have decided to
take the plunge and actually build and use -current. I noticed that some
effort is being made to make the source tree survive being run with gcc
-Werror. There seems to be a problem with things that pass NULL as the
format string to the <err.h> functions:

cc -O  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
-Wno-uninitialized -Werror   -c /usr/src/bin/dd/dd.c
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/usr/src/bin/dd/dd.c: In function `setup':
/usr/src/bin/dd/dd.c:174: warning: null format string
/usr/src/bin/dd/dd.c:179: warning: null format string

(This error first occurs in lib/libutil/passwd.c when doing a make
build, but I "fixed" that one temporarily)

Could this be a sparc64 toolchain problem, or has this issue just not
been fully dealt with in the -current sources?