Subject: __RCSID() -- what is its value?
To: BSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2001 10:33:42
Click buzz whir.

I seem to remember a discussion about RCSids and such a while ago,
and I'm puzzled.  Isn't the idea of the RCSids to be stuffed into the
executable somewhere?  It makes it somewhat hard to tell which versions
of which files in a binary are being used.

"Why would you want to do that?"

Because I want to know if the binary I am running is out of date WRT the
source, and there are no clues to this effect otherwise.

So, why are the RCS id strings not showing up with a strings command?
I see 'NetBSD' but nothing else (no "1.14 filename.c 01/02/59" or
anything).  What gives?

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: The power to Connect