Subject: Re: auich in -current/i386
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/2001 23:29:23
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

# On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 02:55:59PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
# >
# > I had very much the same problem with my onboard audio on my inhel
# > all-in-wonderboard.  I also couldn't get the damn video to work right.
# >
# > There's no codec in the kernel for that board, so audio manipulation
# > doesn't work at all.
#
# That comment makes absolutely no sense.

Sorry, then; I thought the reason it didn't work was because we had no
codec in the kernel.  I don't always understand hardware.  The kernel
comments, at least on my box, that it has an "unknown (0xffffffff) codec",
and it's not clear to me that the kernel just doesn't know about the
codec or that the codec is, in fact, hardware vs. software (I thought
codecs were typically hardware).

I'll guess that since the value is (unsigned long) -1, the codec is,
in fact, missing, which you allude to in your next paragraph.

# The issue is that the auich actually violates the AC97 spec by not
# including a sample rate converter onboard.  Normally it's paired with
# an AC97 codec that supports the variable rate extension.  I'm pretty
# sure that the AD1881 codec supports variable rate, in some fashion,
# based on past discussions with one of the designers -- but it may do so
# in a non-standard way, or it may not report that it does.

i.e. "It's broken and it's not our fault."

I sure won't argue that one.  Thank you for your (as ever) subtle
correction.

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: true inheritors of the UNIX(tm) legacy.