Subject: Re: mail configuration
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2001 13:42:50
lainestump@rcn.com writes:
> The world just gets unfriendlier and unfriendlier... I guess
> UUNet got tired of getting the brunt of complaints that should have
> been leveled at all those other people running open mail relays; now
> all the rest of us have to "dumb down" our mail agents. Bah. :-(

I think the other problem they are addressing is that there is a whole
class of dialup spammers that connect directly to port 25 on the
victim's machine.  One type of attack, the dictionary attack, where
every name in the book is tried needs to be done directly.  One can't
easily do it by indirecting through a relay unless one is prepared to
accept thousands of bounces per trial, once per wrong guess.

Setting up sendmail to use an ISP's mailhost should only take one
extra line in the sendmail.mc file.

define(`SMART_HOST', esmtp:mailhost.myisp.com)

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/