Subject: Re: mail configuration
To: None <jsarkes@tiac.net>
From: None <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2001 00:23:15
Joseph Sarkes <joe@js1.jsnet> writes:

> Over the last 6 months or so I have been having more and
> more email bounce with configuration complaints about a
> non resolvable domain name.

This is unrelated to your problem, but in the same area of
conversation, and something I just noticed today when I was forced to
use a dialup earthlink connection for the first time in several months
- apparently uunet's dialup routers are now configured to block all
attempts to connect to tcp/25 (smtp) *except* to approved mail servers
on the ISPs' networks. When dialed up to a UUNet POP with an earthlink
userid, I can connect to mail.earthlink.net, but an attempt to connect
to another mail server (under my own administrative control, so I know
it isn't blocking the connection itself), gets blocked, with the
following return:

206.115.150.158 > 63.36.195.8: icmp: net a.b.c.d unreachable - admin prohibited

(my address at the moment was 63.36.195.8, while the sender
(206.151.150.158) is "tnt30.bos2.da.uu.net". "a.b.c.d" is the address
of the non-earthlink mail server I was attempting to contact.)

The world just gets unfriendlier and unfriendlier... I guess
UUNet got tired of getting the brunt of complaints that should have
been leveled at all those other people running open mail relays; now
all the rest of us have to "dumb down" our mail agents. Bah. :-(

P.S. - You won't get this mail until at least 12 hours after I sent it
- I don't feel like figuring out a dumber mail config right now, and
the guy from RCN won't be around to fix my current cable line problem
until tomorrow. Until then, my mail queue is just stacking up.