Subject: Re: mail configuration
To: None <jsarkes@tiac.net>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/20/2001 20:20:26
On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 11:07:26PM -0500, Joseph Sarkes wrote:

> Over the last 6 months or so I have been having more and
> more email bounce with configuration complaints about a
> non resolvable domain name. My system is set up with an
> internal fake domain name on the 10. network address and
> thinks of itself that way. Since I have a dialup internet
> address, I do not have a static name to use.
>
> The upshot is that I'd like to know how to configure my
> email to not bounce. I typically just use elm, and I
> don't think I have altered the sendmail.cf file from the
> stock file.  I haven't found any configuration to use for
> my particular situation, but have not really dredged thru
> all of the places I can look in the tree.

The problem is that some MTAs will now bounce mail based on the envelope
from address, and not just the From: line.  There are a couple of
different ways to fake this.

If you were using, e.g., Emacs, it would be as easy as just changing
user-mail-address, since it will pass a `-f' option to sendmail by
default.  I don't know how to do this with elm, so I'll skip to the
second option.

You can also use sendmail's (or Postfix's, or whatever) `masquerading'
option.  Rather than having it send mail as from `username@yourhost',
you can put a `MASQUERADE_AS(tiac.net)' in your .mc file, and it will
send mail as `username@tiac.net' instead.  Be careful to have it not
send out from mail `root', et al, if you do this.  Also note that your
user name will have to be the same as your address @tiac.net for it to
work.

Lastly, your ISP should provide instructions of their own on how to do
this, and you may want to look on their web site.  If they don't,
they're lame.