Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.* palette unfriendliness
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/2001 10:05:19
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> The problem I see now is right now is the VGA driver knows nothing
> about the specific card ... it just sees a card that implements the VGA
> register set, but the high-resolution stuff is outside of the VGA
> register set.  You'd have to teach the VGA driver about the n-billion
> different graphic cards out there to get it to be able to do them all.
> Easy to do for one - damn hard to do for them all.  Somehow, placing
> all of XFree86 inside the kernel isn't a reasonable option, I think :-/
>
> Now, it seems to me that on panic you _might_ be able to invoke the
> INT10 BIOS extension that XFree86 uses to reset secondary video cards
> and be able to get back to text mode ... but of course, you could never
> continue from DDB when you've done that.  But ... "might be useful".

	Would you be able to continue on a text console?
	Would it be feasible to implement something that would reset
	the card then either cause the X server to exit when you resumed,
	or somehow get it to reset the card back to graphical mode (as
	if it was resuming from a text console).

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --