Subject: Re: Why commands in the source tree don't have version?
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@infinet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/2001 00:28:21
Sender: current-users-owner@netbsd.org

Quoting Masao Uebayashi (uebayasi@soum.co.jp):
> > Don't take me the wrong way, but..."Why not?" and "How so??".  If
> > people follow the existing customs and put RCS ID strings in each file
> > (as we appear to be doing), you can tell all you really need to know
> > about any executable just by using the ident command.  Indeed, it gets
>
> Any executable?
> Hmm, am I missing anything?
>
>   % uname -a
>   NetBSD widegw.soum.co.jp 1.4X NetBSD 1.4X (WIDEGW) #6: Fri Nov 10 15:21:10 JST 2000     root@widegw.soum.co.jp:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/WIDEGW i386
>   % ident /usr/bin/ident
>   /usr/bin/ident:
>        $NetBSD: crt0.c,v 1.9 1999/11/02 10:07:12 lukem Exp $

No...somehow over the past couple of years I have, and should have
said 'just about' 8/.  I have used it fairly often for years and never
noticed what you just pointed out to me.  In looking closer, the code
in the gnu tree strangely does not appear to take advantage of the rcs
tagging which makes ident possible, and guess from whence the ident
source comes.

- Doug