Subject: XFree86 4.0.* palette unfriendliness
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/2001 00:49:27
(Since I know other ports use XFree86, I figured it was appropriate to
post this here).

I discovered that the problem I was having with my laptop and XFree86 4.0.2
(Neomagic chipset) was that the XFree86 code wasn't restoring the VGA
palette when switching back to text mode.  And even when I fixed _that_
problem, there was a bug in the palette saving code that resulted in the
VGA palette being shifted by one color after every X server run.

I fixed both of those problems and submitted patches, but in a
discussion with the developer he said that Linux saves and restores
the VGA palette itself, that's why he never noticed the problem.
Now, I'm wondering ...  was there an XFree86 API change that now
means it's _NetBSD's_ responsibility to do this, or are we victims
here of sloppy coding?  If it was just the Neomagic chipset, I'd say
sloppy coding ... but two other people told me the same thing happens
to them with two different chipsets (I fixed the problem in the glint
driver - thanks Nathan for testing it!), so I'm starting to wonder here
if this was a concious decision by XFree86 team.

If we're the victims here, then do we have an official channel where we
can tell the XFree86 team, "Hey, guys, can you please make sure all of
your card drivers save and restore the VGA palette correctly?".

--Ken