Subject: xrdb/.Xdefaults solved
To: Thomas Dickey <dickey@herndon4.his.com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2001 17:58:22
On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Thomas Dickey wrote:

# The way it was explained to me is that the xrdb sets all those values in
# the server (actually I recall being told the root window), and once set,
# the resources are as you noted already available to the server, so it
# doesn't need the dynamically-loaded stuff.  (At the time, we had an in-house
# group that was developing widgets - and a style guide - and xrdb was frowned
# upon because it made the system inflexible).

I just discovered, through the virtue of a broken X session, that
you are quite correct (as I was guessing at what might happen).

I use xrdb because I could never remember the XAPPLRESDIRPATH or
whatever it was to set up separate app files (I make heavy use
of #include); and modify/xrdb works great for me, but at least
now I see the behaviour you described.  Thanks for the enlightening
lesson!

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: Perpetual performance!