Subject: Re: IDE Breakage in 1.5: false alarm?
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2001 19:10:00
> My CATS uses the M5229 pciide chipset and I also got UDMA errors.
> I have made some patches but -current CATS kernel cannot boot because of
> "panic: ubc_init: failed to map ubc_object." Sigh..

You are running out of VM space in the kernel. You have two choices.

* figure out how to rearrange memory mappings for the CATS to allow
  KERNEL_VM_SIZE to be bigger.

* Change PMAP_STATIC_L1S in your kernel config to a smaller value (or reduce
  maxproc)

If the comment in vmparam.h is to be believed there is no reason why
KERNEL_VM_SIZE could not be increased on the CATS anyway. There are some
patches which resolve the issue for the Risc PC/A7000 in PR12119.