Subject: Re: AVI/MPEG2/MPEG4 (DivX) player for NetBSD ?
To: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/2001 20:55:20
On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 01:53:30AM +0100, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> since DivX is now open source (www.divx.com) i've build a library package
> of it wich i hope to submit soon. The problem is that there are two
> packages that play MPEG movies known to me : mplayer and XMPS ... the
> later is build on SDL ... wich isnt ready yet for NetBSD... I've tried to
> compile it based on the FreeBSD one but thats quite hard :(
>
> Is anyone busy on porting SDL allready? Or are there other movie players
> for NetBSD ? The mplayer is not useable on non i-386 platforms for it
> contains a lot of assembler and is really focused on the i386 linux...

We have both mpeg_play and xanim in pkgsrc... but I don't think
they'll be what you want. (The former doesn't handle audio at all
and the latter has attrocious performance anywhere I've tried it.)

We also have a package for mtv (this is all in pkgsrc/graphics,
btw), but it requires Linux emulation and (as near as I can tell) is
broken the same way xmms is broken. (*Might* work with
unproven-pthreads, but I haven't messed with it... and one would
have to build it from source rather than using the RPMs, probably.)

So, I guess the point is, I think we would all be happier if there
a decent MPEG decoder and player in pkgsrc, where "decent" is
defined as performing well for both video and audio.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net