Subject: Re: Suggested change to whois...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/2001 00:21:14
On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Nigel Reed wrote:

> Or not...
>
> bash-2.04# which jwhois
> /usr/pkg/bin/jwhois
> bash-2.04# whois nelgin.nu

You example, doesn't show "j"whois. But you're right. It doesn't work for
.nu. It did work for my corenic-based isp-faq.com.

I made a pkgsrc out of the whois (Marco d'Itri) used by Debian. I called
it md-whois. It is available at
http://www.reedmedia.net/misc/netbsd/packages/pkgsrc-md-whois.tgz (I ran
pkglint on it but it came up with some weird messages like "FATAL: no
MAINTAINER listed in Makefile" even though it is there.)

Another whois that works is a shell-based whois wrapper. I grabbed it from
ftp://ftp.weird.com/pub/local/awhois.sh. Interesting. Maybe Mr. Woods
would be interested in packaging it (or reimplementing his ideas).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/