Subject: Re: Suggested change to whois...
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/2001 00:14:38
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> Don't believe our whois has ever done that.

Perhaps - I go from FreeBSD to NetBSD and back quite often, so perhaps I
had that mixed up. :)

> But internic used to not
> have such a braindead response to whois requests. This "improvement"
> came with splitting out to multiple registrars.

IMO, the split in whois servers was inevitable with the new registrars,
heck, I just made a DNS change on one of my personal domains - The CORE
registrar I use had the domain updated within minutes at whois.corenic.net;
the SRS server at NSI didn't update the new NS entries for three days.

But I digress...

> Are they just using one of the (many) third-party whois packages, or
> is this a modification of the RIPE version?

I believe FreeBSD uses a modified version of RIPE.

> I'd be all for having whois do some magic parsing for me, and it
> should be really easy to do and send-pr, but I'm lazy and content
> aliasing whois to whois -h whois.geektools.com. ;^>

Well, I'll enter it in send-pr.  It's just one of those things to make life
easier.  (and yes, being able to do it in FreeBSD, then to run whois on my
NetBSD boxes, and get something else is bugging me)

-Peter
--
Peter Losher   				      <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
Systems Admin. - Nominum, Inc.              PGP key available on request