Subject: Re: linux emul problem in 1.5R?
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Jaromír Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/2001 10:48:51
Ross Harvey wrote:
> Some code was added recently that implemented a CHECK_ALT_SYMLINK() feature
> to the common emulation code. It's probably what is responsible for your
> failures; it certainly caused mine.
>
> I believe it interferes with programs that do things like getcwd(3), because
> it bypasses some special logic that deals with the real root vs the emulation
> root. In any case, the problem it "fixed" was purely hypothetical ... AFAIK
> there were no actual bugs reported, and although a PR is referenced in the
> CVS log, I think that PR just described behavior predicted by reading the
> code itself, not a problem with any real linux application.

No, the PR was filed after I found out FreeBSD binary ignores
/emul/freebsd/etc/malloc.conf symlink (see malloc(3)).

Does readlink(2) work for you in linux binary if you set the symlink as
/emul/linux/testln -> some_nonexisting_file and do readlink("/testln", ...) ?
With 'old' code, it incorrectly returned ENOENT.

I'll look at why the change is causing problems.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, dammit!  @@@@