Subject: Re: linux emul problem in 1.5R?
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/2001 08:21:04
On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 05:31:48PM -0800, Ross Harvey wrote:
> > I just cvs updated my kernel sources and built a kernel (because of the
> > panic I had with the older kernel).  So far, everything else looks OK,
> > but Applixware no longer starts.  When I try to start it, it just prints
> >
> > Current directory: Success
>
> Some code was added recently that implemented a CHECK_ALT_SYMLINK() feature
> to the common emulation code. It's probably what is responsible for your
> failures; it certainly caused mine.

Yes.  I applied your patch and the problem went away.  Applix now starts up
without a problem.  Thanks!

An unrelated question:

How do I get to the kernel debugger if the machine panics while running X?
I seem to have a problem with the current kernel: When I try to logout from
kde, the system always crashes before the logout is complete.  Caps lock LED
still works if I hit the caps lock key, but if I type "c" or "sync" and hit
enter, the machine locks up and the caps lock LED no longer works.  1.5Q
never did this, 1.5R seems to do it every time on my system (Athlon 900 MHz,
256 MB RAM).

  -jm