Subject: Re: README: nawk vs. gawk
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jarom=EDr_Dolecek?= <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/2001 10:17:20
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Jaromír Dolecek wrote:

: There might be some gawk dependencies in NetBSD build tree. If you'd encounter
: any, please send-pr it, so that it gets fixed. If you find any bug,
: gawk feature nawk doesn't have or if you think anything needs improvement,
: send-pr it so that we know about it and so that it can be handled.

Could we look into the feasibility of implementing at least some of the
GNUisms that aren't implemented by nawk?  (Say, does nawk implement $10 and
up, etc.?)

Awk is used by more than just NetBSD-supplied software; it's a favorite for
sysadmin-created scripts.  When we do switch, if we don't emulate the
GNUisms, we have to make a VERY LOUD message about it in the release notes.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/