Subject: Re: README: nawk vs. gawk
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jarom=EDr_Dolecek?= <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/2001 09:55:40
On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 10:21:29AM +0100, Jaromír Dolecek wrote:
> Hi folks,
> recently, there was nawk added to the tree. It's faster than gawk and
> has more friendly licence, so it is being considered as future replacement
> of gawk.
>
> However, to avoid problems once we'd switch to it, it would be cool
> if you could try use it instead of gawk NOW. This way nawk would
> get more testing and hopefully potential issues would be resolved
> before it'd be the default awk.

And just a short note that pkgsrc makes extensive use of /usr/bin/awk.
We went through a spate of "removing gawk-isms from pkgsrc" some time
ago (with thanks to Greg Woods), but please send-pr any bits that we
missed, or have added (mistakenly) in the meantime.  (I don't think
there are any, since Solaris pkgsrc uses /usr/bin/nawk, but you never
know...)

Thanks,
Alistair