Subject: Re: /etc/resolv.conf corrupted during DHCP lease renewal
To: None <mark@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/2001 20:39:10
> In article <200101272219.OAA20487@zen.quick.com.au> you write:
> >I'm still investigating this, but if others have seen evidence of
> >config files being corrupted when dhclient-script is run I'd like to
> >hear.
>
> Yes we've seen this.  We have a dhclient-exit-hooks that reads in
> part:
> days) we would sometimes see it output into /etc/resolv.conf. This
> is on i386.

Ok, so sounds like a generic bug.  I've not seen it on my notebook
though.  I'll reconfig dhcpd so that leases need to be renewed much
more often and have a look.

The nature of the corruption suggests a shell bug.  Its as if stdout
is left redirected to resolv.conf - which nothing in the
dhclient-script excuses.  I might try making it use ksh...

--sjg