Subject: Re: truncated inode, and painful death
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/27/2001 20:00:19
On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 09:37:31AM -0800, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> Can softdeps on the source partition of a massive tar-gzip ever cause
> corruption on the destination partition?  I was trying to tar and
> compress 30 gigs of ascii data files into an estimated 4-gig tar.gz
> file into my home directory.

Not softdeps specifically, but there was a bug in -current that caused
rather painful (meta-)data corruption when a file > 2G was written.
(note that this only applied to -current, the bug was never present
in any formal release).

Please make sure that you have an up-to-date kernel, specifically the
file sys/miscfs/genfs/genfs_vnops.c

- Frank