Subject: Re: > 4GB with NFS?
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <p@ppires.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/2001 00:23:55
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 02:19:40PM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > Well, I just dd-ed a > 4G file over NFS between a NetBSD 1.5 client and
> > server, without problems. No special flags are needed, and never have
> > been.
> >
> > So it would seem that your problem is either in the application
> > or the server.
>
> Not quite that simple.  A plain dd (or lmdd with O_LARGEFILE on Solaris) has
> no problem with this server. It's the *BSDs as clients to this box that have a
> problem.
>
> Yes, it's probably a server 'problem', but from the point of view of me going
> and and saying "Just use FreeBSD or NetBSD boxes in your test harnesses" and
> having Solaris "just work" is a hard sell.

Is there a chance that your application might be using variables for
file offsets that have been declared as int or long instead of off_t?
I believe that most legacy (and not so ancient, especially given some
"renowned" *NIXes suffered such problem intrinsically until very
recently) applications may suffer of such problem.

--
	Pappires

... Qui habet aurem audiendi audiat quid Spiritus dicat ecclesiis.