Subject: Re: "core-less" kernel crashes
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: John Hawkinson <jhawk@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2001 10:54:56

| In the last three days, I've had two system crashes that didn't leave
| a coredump. (My system is setup properly to do this, it had done it
| before, and there was enough room for it). I don't have any clue what
| caused these crashes, although the machine was busy doing a build of
| something in both cases.

That's not good. Do you have a persistent message buffer across
reboots? If you have DDB compiled in, the system will print a stack
trace to the console if entry to ddb is not enabled, before rebooting.
If you have a persistent message buffer, you can find this with dmesg.
If not, you could hook up a serial console and and log the output.

--jhawk