Subject: Re: Why my life is sucking. Part 2.
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/2001 00:34:44
Laine Stump wrote:

> While we're all bitching about new features that give us problems -
> has anyone else seen interactive response go completely to hell after
> UBC was brought in?

Oh yes, I've noticed!  Ny laptop is almost unusable while compiling now.
I've considered switching back to 1.5.  UBC certainly speeds up big compilations,
but it kills interactive performance.

I was a little surprised by how bad it was, I thought the lessons from
Solaris (and Linux?) would have tought us not to use up too much memory
for file buffers?

> We *really* need some tuning knobs or something - I like the idea of
> using *unused* memory for disk cache, but not if it means swapping out
> applications that I've been using any time in the last 1/2 an hour
> (and so may use them again soon).

For the moment I'd be happy with some really simple knobs, like minimum
and maximum memory usage for file buffers.  I think we need this desperately,
because interactive performance with UBC really sucks right now.
(I suggest we force Chuck to use a machine with 64M and I'm sure we'll
get our knobs soon. :)

    -- Lennart