Subject: Re: RAIDframe bootability
To: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/2001 15:58:27
Chris Jones writes:
> Do our kernels understand having the root filesystem on a raid device?

Yes.

> I know the raid(4) man page says it only works on alpha and pmax,

That's referring to booting a kernel *directly* from a RAID 1 (mirror) set.
Alpha, pmax and vax (hmm.. should update that man-page, I guess :) )
boot blocks know how to grab a kernel directly from a RAID 1 set.
I believe i386 boot blocks are somewhat aware of this as well.
On other architectures, you (currently) need some other way to load a
kernel... but after that, the root filesystem can be on a RAID device.
(Note that none of the architectures are able to boot a kernel
residing on a RAID 0 or RAID 5 set..)

> but
> various things are making me start to question if that's true.  Like
> the article on configuring RAIDframe which is mentioned in the gallery
> on the web site.

Later...

Greg Oster