Subject: Re: Why my life is sucking. Part 2.
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@mail.augustsson.net>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/2001 09:55:34
Lennart Augustsson writes:
> Herb Peyerl wrote:
>
> > thinking about going back to 1.4.3 or installing Solaris.  Definitely
> > not having a good time here.
>
> Well, some advice: don't use raid, don't use softdep.

Umm...  While RAIDframe is involved in the mix here, I'm certainly not
convinced that it is a direct contributor to any of the problems seen so far.
(indirect, due to different memory usage patterns, etc, but not direct.)

I run NetBSD 1.5 w/ RAID on my main box...  It's got (among other things)
an Advansys ASB3940U2W-00 SCSI card with two Fujitsu MAE3182LP drives.
Those drives form halves for 3 different mirror sets - one for the
root filesystem, one for swap, and one for '/u2'.  As of right now,
the machine has been up for 39 days.  (39 days ago I upgraded to 1.5 proper
on it).  This is my main box, and it gets used every day...

If there are problems w/ RAIDframe I want to hear about them, and will do my
best to fix them... but please don't blame RAIDframe for all the problems
unless you can provide hard evidence that it really is the source of the
problems...

[RAIDframe seems to get bad press every time something goes wrong and RAID
is being used on the machine... yet of the last N "bug reports" I've