Subject: Re: building floppies problems
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/17/2001 13:16:21
According to Jeremy C. Reed:

>I am trying to build a floppy disk set and a rescue disk. Do I need the
>"ramdisk-big"?

IIRC the rescue floppy uses ramdisk-tiny because it is a single disk
and you need to fit the kernel on the disk too.

>Also when building why does it do INSTALL and then INSTALL_TINY? Can't I
>just choose what I want built? (I don't want everything.)

You could try doing a make in the appropriate floppy directory but
beware, the building of the floppy images is a bit involved.

>Where is the description/definition/documentation for each of the
>directories (other than figuring out Makefiles)?

I think the Makefiles is all there is.

>Any ideas on how can I workaround this inode problem?

``that depends'' if you want _all_ the tools and things that are
currently defined in the ramdiskbin then, no, your are SOL.  I found
that creating a fs with enough inodes did not leave enough room for
the standard toolset to be loaded.  If you want, what you can do is
hack the ramdisk.conf to remove things you do not want.

This is what I did to get a customised rescue disk:

1) in the ramdisk* directory, edit the Makefile and find the newfs
   command.  One of the arguments to the newfs command will be "-i 3950",
   change this to be "-i 1902".  This will create enough inodes on the
   ramdisk image.
2) Edit the ramdisk.conf file and remove some entries from the progs
   lines, in my case there were quite a few tools I knew I was not
   going to use.  This will reduce the size of the crunched binary
   enough to fit.

run the makes to build the image.  As I said, I used this method to
build a rescue disk that suited my needs, ymmv.

>A related question: Do I always need to set RELEASEDIR and DESTDIR in the
>environment?

I don't think so.  I do not do that.