Subject: Re: StarOffice
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2001 21:59:09
Thus spake Sean Doran
> here is what works reliably for -386; it's gross & not remotely pkgsrc-esque.
>
> 1. grab 5.2 version of Star Office from the web page
> 2. install on someone's Linux system, in e.g. /usr/local/office52
> 3. tar up this directory
> 4. untar on NetBSD box into same directory (/usr/local/office52)
> 5. symlink from somewhere in your $PATH to /usr/local/office52/program/soffice
> 6. edit the soffice shell script to have NetBSD use /bin/test;
>    this is easy: "SCO_SV"->"SCO_SV|NetBSD"
> 7. make sure you have current suse_linux & a recentish (1.5 vintage to current)
>    kernel
>
> this "just works", but requires the friendly Linux box (blah)

Yah, I had already thought of this but I didn't realize that the process
would be this simple.  I did this except that I NFS mounted the destination
directory (The Linux box didn't have enough disk space) so that it would
already be in place when it was installed.

However, it is taking a long time.  I started this morning and I was still
on the registration stage when I left the office.  Hopefully it will be
finished by the time I get in.

> there is a bug wrt the file-opening dialogues, that could be /emul
> related.  typing in an absolute directory path will cause an abort; clicking
> up and down through relative "folders" is the only way to do this type
> of filesystem navigation, and is still touchy.

I don't plan to use it as my main work system.  It's just a way of handling
the files that the Windows Weenies send me.  That should be fine.