Subject: Re: Why my life is sucking.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2001 23:36:42
In article <200101162315.f0GNFLW14789@habanero.huxley.org>,
Dean Huxley <dean@huxley.org> wrote:
>Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:

[explanation deleted]

>I'm not sure what is the best way to fix this.  Certainly getvol(0)
>should never be called if the input is a pipe.  Also something seems
>wrong with dump giving inodes greater than maxino.
>
>Any ideas, anyone?

In the old days, dump could not handle a live filesystem. Then
people at purdue added some code that would ignore inodes that were
added/removed after the dump had started leading to a consistent
dump. Some part (most?) of these changes became part of the standard
dump by 4.3BSD IIRC. Probably this is a place where things have not been
fixed. I'd say that in this case, we should ask the user if she/he
wants to stick in another tape or ignore the inode. A corresponding
flag could be added to force things one way or the other.

christos