Subject: Re: Why my life is sucking.
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2001 22:06:49
On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 12:42:41AM -0500, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> > As far as reading the source, 3687+7io is 3687 read and 7 write.
>
> So, there's one thing which mkdir() does in ffs which is different
> from other sorts of file creation... it tries to put the directory in
> a different cylinder group from the one it's parent lives in..
>
> I think what's going on here is that ffs_dirpref() may be screwing up
> and always picking an initial cylinder group with few directories,
> lots of free inodes..  but no free blocks.. so it winds up hunting all
> over the disk for free blocks before it finds one for the directory.
>
> I'm willing to bet that the extra level of indirection required for
> mirroring is causing the "hunt" for free blocks to no longer fit into
> the buffer cache.

How, how does the disklabel on your raid1 looks like ?
After raid1 creation I always had to change parameters in the disklabel
to more sane values (otherwise it ends up with something like
sectors/track: 64
tracks/cylinder: 1
and this makes a lot of cylinder groups).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>