Subject: Re: Updating current in the wrong order after the make change.
To: Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2001 14:48:11
>>Of course, one could argue that it should always be possible to rebuild
>>make even in these circumstances.  That is, /usr/src/usr.bin/make/Makefile
>>should not pull in any makefile fragments, or there should be an alternate
>>makefile in that directory that doesn't rely on /usr/share/mk/*.
>
>Right.  Naive little old me thought `well, why can't I use "make -f
>Makefile.boot" to get out of this mess, that's what it's for, right?'

i think so, but i'm not sure.  every time i was trying to build
netbsd's make on a different platform, i just used cc (or gcc)
directly.  it seemed okay to me.

>But apparently that's not what it's for -- unless you're on a sun.

the comments at the top

# a very simple makefile...
#
# You only want to use this if you aren't running NetBSD.
#
# modify MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH as appropriate for your target architecture

since to indicate that you should be changing those values to reflect
whatever you're trying to build on...sun is merely the uncommented
"default".

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|