Subject: Re: Updating current in the wrong order after the make change.
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2001 18:57:54
I argued once before (probably a couple of years back) that it ought to be
possible to rebuild the whole netbsd source tree starting with just a
farily primitive set of tools (pretty much a basic compiler and not much
else, except perhaps a make that is good enough to build our make).  All
the tools that are needed to compile netbsd should then be compiled from
that; doing it this way would, in principal, make it possible to build
NetBSD from a non-NetBSD machine, starting by building a set of
cross-tools that are then used to build the rest of the system.  I think
it is a mistake to require that you have NetBSD-current in order to build
NetBSD-current.

Of course, I don't have the time to put my money where my mouth is, so I
shan't say any more on the subject.

R.