Subject: Re: problems with Xfree 4.0.2
To: =?iso-8859-1?q?Jarom=EDr=20Dolecek?= <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/2001 10:11:56
On Monday 15 January 2001  9:42 am, Jaromír Dolecek wrote:
> Laine Stump wrote:
> > I've gotten everything built and installed from the xsrc/xfree/xc
> > directory, and am trying to get the Xserver running. However, I
> > encounter some problems:
> >
> > 1) When xdm is run, it runs X based on this (normal) line from
> >
> >    xdm/Xservers:
> >     :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt05
> >
> >    But X complains "unrecognized option vt05. Looking in the allowable
> >    options, it appears that X expects the actual name of the tty (ttyE4).

What's /usr/X11R6/bin/X linked to?  it's not still linked to a 3.3.x server?
It should be linked to XFree86.

> > 2) If I startup X using startx, it does give me the video, and the
> >    mouse works (I'm using wsmouse), but the keyboard is completely
> >    dead, including the hotkeys to switch to other vt's (this may be,
> >    no *probably* is, related to the first problem).
>
> Are you sure that there is no getty running on the ttyE4 screen ?
> It should either be not listed in /etc/ttys at all, or with
>
> ttyE4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure

Also check your /etc/wscons.conf that your screen4 is:
screen  4       -       -

One thing I did notice is that I needed to update /etc/rc.d/xdm to have the
xdm pid file called xdm-pid not xdm.pid.  Anyone else found that?

Cheers,
Chris